Mandeep Singh says Sachin Tendulkar is his idol

Kings XI Punjab’ star batsman Mandeep Singh, who was awarded the ‘Rising Star’ of the Indian Premier League (IPL) 2012, said on Monday that India’s batting legend Sachin Tendulkar is his idol.
 
In an interview with the tournament’s official website, Mandeep said, “I have always watched Sachin Tendulkar. No one can be like him, but I have always tried to be somewhat like him.”
 
Talking about senior cricketers in the side, Adam Gilchrist and David Hussey’s influence, Mandeep said, “Both really inspire, especially the youngsters. They gave me an opportunity to bat in the top order and I wanted to make use of this opportunity, which would be good for the team also.”
 
He is delighted to receive the Rising Star of the IPL award and is looking forward to a better season next year.
“It feels very good. As a junior player, you wish to win this Rising Star in the IPL. I really worked hard for this and it feels good”, he said.
 
PTI5_20_2012_000149BDespite the good performance this year, Mandeep pointed out that he should have converted his starts into big scores more often.“I am a little disappointed that I scored a lot of 20s and 30s, and next year I would want to convert them into 60s or 70s,” Mandeep expressed.

© Cricketcountry