I don’t see Brand Tendulkar going wrong: Kapil Dev

Come Monday and Sachin Tendulkar will complete 21 years as an India cricketer. The 37-year-old master’s journey began at the National Stadium in Karachi, which hosted the first Test of the 1989-90 series.
Also in the XI there was Kapil Dev, India’s only (50-over) World Cup-winning captain. On Sunday afternoon, he gave a telephonic interview to The Telegraph.
The following are excerpts
Q Are you amazed that a cricketer in this age and time is hours away from completing 21 years at the international level...
A (Laughs) Not just amazed, I have no words to describe Sachin’s run... Frankly, there was a stage when I thought he would give it up five-six years ago... I went by my experience, my career, which lasted 16 or so years. Well, Sachin proved me wrong, but I’m not unhappy. Far from it.
Surely, you couldn’t have imagined this in Karachi, 21 years ago...
How can anybody predict? In my time, getting to play 100 Tests was seen as the ultimate achievement... Today, seven have made 140 or more Test appearances, with Sachin leading the pack (173)... Keeping cue sports aside, I can’t think of another top-bracket sportsman who has put in 21 years at a stretch in his/her field. Sachin has, despite cricket becoming much more demanding, with so many matches, plenty of travelling and enormous media scrutiny.
What, indeed, is special about Sachin?
I guess he’s abnormal... Lest I be misunderstood, I mean this in a positive sense... Can’t imagine any normal person doing the things Sachin does. He’s been phenomenal.
By his own admission, Sachin continues to be a student of the game, that he keeps learning. Is that his USP?
Difficult for me to answer... Only Sachin can say what he’s learning.
Would you describe Sachin as the perfect role model?
In one way, yes... Most definitely... He plays the game in the spirit it ought to be played in and has steered clear of controversies. However, having said that, I’d be happier if he speaks his mind on certain issues... He stays quiet when, in fact, his voice would carry so much weight. It’s not a criticism, but a personal thought on somebody I admire.
Issues like...
I wouldn’t like to get into specifics, not today... But, yes, Sachin should air his views on management issues — not only in cricket, but sport as a whole.
Are you disappointed that Sachin didn’t, for example, push for the latest players’ association (set up in 2002) to be active?
No... His job is to play and he’s been doing a great job.
[Kapil, by the way, had himself taken the lead in forming a body in 1989. It became defunct all too quickly, though.]
An off the field memory which stands out...
Oh, I loved Sachin’s statement last November, when he told the world that he was an Indian first and, only then, a Maharashtrian or a Mumbaikar... Those words said so much...
[In response to Raj Thackeray’s ‘Mumbai for Maharashtrians’ stand, Sachin had said: “Mumbai belongs to India... That is how I look at it... I am a Maharashtrian and extremely proud of that, but I am an Indian first.”]
Which of Sachin’s performances come to mind instantly?
It’s a most difficult question to answer...Perhaps, an unfair question, too... It's very tough... (After a pause) I’d go for his Test hundreds in Sydney (148 not out) and Perth (114) on his first tour of Australia, 1991-92... In ODIs, I’d pick his performances (all of 434 runs in five matches) in the April 1998 tournament in Sharjah.
Sachin is still aspiring for the next level. What would that be?
Enjoying life, without pressure... He’s already had enough (of pressure) right through his career.
Eleven years ago, Sachin was the India captain and you were the coach. Given the huge difference in personality, how did the two of you gel in the dressing room?
Sachin would push me into saying everything... Contrary to the general impression, I speak only when I need to... I won’t say I’m outspoken, but I certainly don’t like being taken for a ride.
About the only criticism of Sachin is that he didn't make a mark during his two innings as the India captain...
I won’t criticise Sachin on the captaincy issue... If I have to be critical, it’s that he hasn’t got a 300 or, like Brian Lara, a 400... In my view, he ought to have had more than six double hundreds... Consistently got bigger scores once past 100... Sachin has had the talent and skills for the really big ones.
What role would you like to see Sachin play once he's through with cricket?
Look, Sachin never reveals anything, so I don’t know what he would like to do... He’ll have to decide that... I wouldn’t like to advise him.
As a brand, Sachin keeps getting bigger...
I’m not surprised... If I may add, only he can ‘spoil’ Brand Tendulkar... The Bradman Brand is so potent more than 60 years after he stopped playing and I’m convinced that Brand Tendulkar is headed the same way. Indeed, I don’t see Brand Tendulkar going wrong.
When Sachin does call it a day, what’s the legacy we’ll be talking about?
We’ll be talking in the same manner that the world talks of the Bradman legacy. Can’t be anything different.
The last one... Your message to Sachin on his ‘turning’ 21...
(Laughs) I’ll keep it with me till Sachin’s completed 30 years at the highest level! Aap nau saal baad puchiye ga.