Want to be remembered for more than cricket stats: Sachin Tendulkar, MP

Sachin Tendulkar, who sworn in as a nominated member of the Rajya Sabha today, said he would like to help other sports but he will not take his focus away from cricket. ("In the last 22 years of my international career, cricket has given me so much and I also wanted to give something back to cricket in the latter half of my life. Today with the nomination, I am in a better position not only to help cricket but also other sports. It means a lot to me. I will try to help other sports," Sachin said.

"But I believe there will be a few obstacles along the way, and I will need from my fellow parliamentarians, the administrators, media and our countrymen. Together we can make a lot of changes," he added.

Sachin, who was accompanied by his wife Anjali and Congress leader Mr Rajiv Shukla in the chamber of Rajya Sabha chairman Hamid Ansari, also said that he would like to be remembered as someone who contributed to the country and not just cricket statistics. "I will be happy if I am remembered as someone who contributed to all sports in India rather than just cricket statistics. That would be fantastic.

getty2When asked how he would take time out of his busy cricket schedule, he said: "I am a nominee. I did not go to anyone asking to be a Rajya Sabha member. It's an honour and I accept that with respect. But I am here because of my cricket. I can't take my focus away from cricket because that is where it all started for me."

ALSO SEE :

In Pictures : Sachin Tendulkar takes oath as Rajya Sabha member

"I will focus on my cricket and as and when I stop playing cricket, I don't know when, I don't want those rumors to also start that I am going to stop playing cricket, because I will let everyone know when I will stop cricket. But at this moment my focus will be on cricket, and as and when, there is time in between I will look at other things and see how I can help and bring in whatever changes....not only cricket but all other sports," he added.

© NDTV