Mohammed Shami dedicates dream debut to Sachin Tendulkar

ndian pacer Mohammed Shami, who on Wednesday, made a dream Test debut against the West Indies at the Eden Gardens, dedicated his performance to cricket legend Sachin Tendulkar, playing his farewell series.

“My biggest achievement is that Sachin is with me so I would dedicate my performance to him as well as my family whose support enabled me to be what I am today,” 23-year-old Shami told the media after taking four for 71 to enable India to skittle the visitors out for 234.

Shami, who hails from a nondescript village in Uttar Pradesh’s Moradabad district, said without the support of his family it was impossible for him to be a cricketer.

“Cricket has no place from where I belong. My mother always used to back me. Except for a school ground, there is no infrastructure. It was because of my family that I am what I am today,” said Shami, adding that his father and brothers were all pacers though they never got the opportunity to showcase their skills on a big stage.

He also expressed happiness on making his debut before his adopted home ground, the Eden Gardens, as well as getting an opportunity to play alongside Tendulkar.

“It’s a double delight for me, making my Test debut on my home ground as well as getting to play with Tendulkar. After playing for India in limited overs cricket, I wanted to play in Test matches and am very happy to have made my Test debut here,” said Shami.

Talking about his performance in the match in which he took the wickets of opener Kieran Powell, top-scorer Marlon Samuels, Denesh Ramdin and tailender Sheldon Cottrell, Shami said he was happy to have done the job he was expected to by his team.

Indian cricketers Sachin Tendulkar and Mohammed Shami celebrate after fall of a wicket during the 1st day of the 1st test match between India and West Indies at Eden Gardens, Kolkata on Nov. 6, 2013. (Photo: IANS)
“I stick to the basics and their batsman played too many shots which made my job easier. While the new ball was not moving that much, once the ball was changed it started to swing and move,” said Shami.

"While all the wickets are important, but my debut wicket [Powell] is more important as it gave me more happiness," added Shami.

© IANS