Sachin was the architect, says Virender Sehwag

Virender Sehwag tells DNA the best thing about Gary Kirsten was that he never ever panicked
Is it a dream come true?
Yes. Not just for me but for the whole nation. The whole country was waiting for this and we did it for the people of India and Sachin Tendulkar.
 
How much of effort has gone into this World Cup victory?
We did everything that was necessary to win the World Cup. All of us worked hard on our fitness. We had thoroughly planned and strategised for every team in the World Cup. We raised the bar when it came to fielding. I’ve heard that our fielding was better than Australia’s in the quarterfinals, better than Pakistan’s in the semifinal and better than Sri Lanka’s in the final. Our fielding was a revelation.

How tough was it to stay fit through the World Cup?

Yes, the goal was the World Cup. That’s why I was taking breaks from ODI cricket. Those breaks helped me a lot. I worked hard on my fitness. I thank the BCCI, selectors, team management, captain and the coach for allowing me to take my time. The credit goes to the selectors. Gary (Kirsten) was always concerned about my fitness and he allowed me all the time to get ready for the World Cup.