Sachin is God's gift to cricket; please let him decide when to retire : Brian Lara

Amidst many calling for out-of-form Sachin Tendulkar’s retirement, West Indies great Brian Lara has come out in support of the India batsman.

At the ICC awards here on Saturday night, Lara, who many stellar cricket pundits believe was as good a batsman as Tendulkar, told IBN7, “I am not sure if I am all correct. But I have noticed that he [Sachin Tendulkar] is not playing the shorter formats to prolong his Test career

"I believe Sachin would know when is the right time to leave. He is an asset to the world cricket, not only to Indian cricket.

“Any decision has to be made by the man himself. I know he will make the right decision. I have great respect for him on and off the field.

“You don’t just push a guy like that. He is a great player and you just have to enjoy for whatever period he plays."

laraAt the awards, the dashing left-hander, who represented the Caribbean nation in 131 Tests and 299 over 17 years, was inducted into the ICC Cricket Hall of Fame. He became the 67th player to join the list of illustrious players.

"I think it's a very humbling experience for me. To be named alongside some of the great cricketers not just from the West Indies but from all around the world like Sir Garfield Sobers, the three Ws, Sir Vivian Richards is a very special feeling," Lara said.

"First of all, to be considered and then to be selected is a great moment."

© IBNLIVE