Sachin Tendulkar always puts the team above self : Gary Kirsten

Former India coach Gary Kirsten felt whether he saw Tendulkar as an opposition player or as his coach, his view about the legendary batsman never changed.

"I have always found Sachin to be a thoroughly decent person. He is a humble man considering his cricket status around the world. He is cricket's greatest role model and continues to provide a great example for young aspiring cricketers on how to conduct oneself throughout one's career.

"Although I got to know him better when I was with the Indian team, my views have never changed," said Kirsten.

The South African said Tendulkar always puts the team above self.

"I felt he had a fantastic presence in the dressing room without having to say too much. I used to really enjoy watching him have conversations with the young players on how to deal with match situations. In the time I was with the team, I always felt he had a strong desire for the team to do well, regardless of his own personal success."

Recollecting his most memorable moment of Tendulkar, Kirsten said, "I love spending time in the nets with Sachin. His desire to continue asking questions and learn about his game will long live with me. However, the evening his wife Anjali came up to me to say thank you for everything I had done will remain a highlight of my coaching career."

gery

© PTI