I wasn't aware that I was close to 50,000 runs, says Sachin Tendulkar

A few moments after crossing 50,000 runs in competitive cricket across all formats, Sachin Tendulkar called himself "a little superstitious" and said he was not aware of the impending landmark till it beamed on the big screen at the Feroz Shah Kotla here on Saturday.

Tendulkar reached the coveted landmark when he tucked one towards midwicket for a single off left-arm spinner Yannick Ottley, as Mumbai Indians defeated Trinidad & Tobago to make the final of the Champions League Twenty20.

Coming into this match, he needed 26 runs to reach the landmark.

"I wasn't aware that I was close to 50000, I only saw it on the big screen when I was two runs short," Tendulkar said after the semifinal match. Talking about the match, he said, "It was a good performance by us after (Dwayne) Smithy gave us a good start. Overall, a terrific performance. It's fun to watch him hit those balls hard. I told him I am not backing up too far as I might get hit by his shots." The veteran batsman said the win over Perth Scorchers in their last group game was crucial.

"I thought that the crunch moments came against Scorchers where we chased very well."

Omgsachin3Asked about his team, Tendulkar said, "I am a little superstitious, so I don't like speaking about my own team (on his team's chances in the final against Rajasthan Royals).

Talking about the pitch at the Kotla, he said, "It is on the slower side. You have got to understand what the wicket does, it's different from Rajasthan."

And about the spirited T&T side, he said, "T&T are a dangerous side and they play the format very well. They have proved themselves in the past. I was glad that (Kieron) Pollard and Smithy were on our side. We held our nerves well."

Asked about his body, Tendulkar said, "All 'parts' are well and I am enjoying."

Tendulkar now has 50009 runs in 953 competitive matches, which includes 551 List A matches, 307 First-class matches and 95 T20 games.

Tendulkar has scored 25,228 runs in 307 First-class matches, including 15,837 runs in 198 Tests.

The 40-year-old has 21,999 runs in 551 List A matches which includes 18,426 runs in 463 ODIs.

Having scored 2747 in the 94 earlier T20 matches, the legend today scored the necessary 26 runs with consummate ease.

© PTI/NDTV